My Encore students are singing songs that symbolize their goals and dreams in the upcoming recital and it has me thinking. If I had a soundtrack to my life, what songs would be on it? After much debate I present to you, my soundtrack
1. Get the Money, Uncle Scrooge’s Money (Various)
2. House at Pooh Corner (Loggins and Messina) ~ The song of my childhood. Every time I hear it, I smell campfires and sycamore trees.
3. Jessie’s Girl (Rick Springfield) ~ Don’t judge.
4. Seasons of Love (Rent)
5. Jack and Diane (John Cougar Mellencamp) ~ Strawberry margaritas, spice cake, and New Year’s Eve.
6. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong) ~ My solo from my very first solo performance. The stage, the applause…I was hooked.
7. Defying Gravity (Wicked)
8. Cheap Seats (Alabama)
9. Prayer of St. Francis (Sarah McLachlan) ~ My favorite prayer.
10. Standing Outside the Fire (Garth Brooks) ~ JFWCB
11. Trouble (Pink)
12. One Day Closer to You (Carolyn Dawn Johnson) ~ The lyrics speak for themselves, but it totally explains my view on relationships.
13. L-O-V-E (Nat King Cole) ~ Okay, so this song really reminds me of one of the funniest movies of all time, Quick Change, but the movie reminds me of the house in Ashfork, which in turn reminds me of my grandfather.
14. Step by Step (New Kids on the Block)
15. Think of Meryl Streep (Fame)
16. Hallelujah Chorus (Handel’s Messiah) ~ The best feeling in the world is standing in the middle of a 100 person choir and singing this song.
17. Hold Me Now (Jennifer Knapp) ~ Faith.
18. The Time Warp (Rocky Horror Picture Show) ~ 36 kids in a bus traveling all around the British Isles.
19. You’re My Best Friend (Queen)
20. Don’t Stop Believin’ (Journey) ~ My kids.